Clocking in from the Couch – A peek at what we’re doing when we “work” from home.
Working from Home is becoming more common
Percent of workers who primarily work from home: 1980 – 2.3% 2010 – 4.3%
33% of companies allow some employees to work from home on a regular basis.
10% of Americans telecommute at least once a week.
How Educated are People who Work From Home?
- BACHELOR’S DEGREE OR HIGHER 35.6%
- SOME COLLEGE 20.1 %
- HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA 11.2%
- LESS THAN HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA 11%
Percent of employed workers, aged 25 and older, who worked at home on an average workday.
WHY DO THEY WORK FROM HOME?
- 48% Need to Finish Work
- 44% Fewer Distractions
- 35% More Productive at Home
- 35% Better Work/Life Balance
WHAT ELSE DO PEOPLE DO WHILE “WORKING” FROM HOME?
Surveyed workers fessed up to doing non-work activities while they’re on the clock at home.
- 43% WATCH TV OR A MOVIE
- 35% DO HOUSEHOLD CHORES
- 28% COOK DINNER
- 26% TAKE NAPS
- 24% DRINK ALCOHOL
- 20% PLAY VIDEO GAMES
Putting in a load of laundry may not take any
more time than a quick chat at the water cooler, but what do at-home workers label as their
- 31% CHORES
- 26% TV
- 23% PETS
- 19% ERRANDS
- 18% INTERNET
- 15% CHILDREN
What are workers wearing when they log on at home?
- 49% JEANS AND A T-SHIRT
- 25% PAJAMAS
- 14% WORKOUT CLOTHES
- 7% UNDERWEAR OR BIRTHDAY SUIT
British company O2 asked 2,500 employees at its headquarters to work from home for one day. Employees saved an estimated 2,000 hours of commuting time.
Here’s what they did with the extra time:
- 120 EXTRA HOURS TO TRAVEL ELSEWHERE
- 240 EXTRA HOURS OF RELAXATION
- 280 EXTRA HOURS OF FAMILY TIME
- 320 EXTRA HOURS OF SLEEP
- 1,040 EXTRA HOURS OF WORK
WHERE DO PEOPLE THINK THEY’RE THE MOST PRODUCTIVE?
- 29% AT HOME
- 37% OFFICE
- 34% EQUALLY PRODUCTIVE HOME/OFFICE
MOST BOSSES AREN’T ON BOARD YET
When asked what their boss thinks about working remotely, employees said that their boss:
- ENCOURAGES IT – 15%
- TOLERATES IT – 35%
- OPPOSES IT – 50%
Most common problems bosses have with remote workers:
- 49% INABILITY TO TALK FACE-TO-FACE
- 26% LESS FOCUS
- 22% NO ACCOUNTABILITY
- 22% SLACKING OFF
IS YOUR BOSS WATCHING?
Computer and mobile tracking applications are springing up to help bosses manage a remote workforce. These programs can:
- ALLOW YOUR BOSS TO MONITOR YOUR WEB BROWSING
- TRACK WHAT PROGRAMS YOU USE AND FOR HOW LONG
- MONITOR THE LOCATION OF FIELD WORKERS
TIME TO LOG OFF FACEBOOK AND GET BACK TO WORK