Marketing a business online is highly competitive. There are millions of websites all vying for attention. In order to be noticed, you need to strengthen your online presence. This can be done through blogging or participating on social network sites, such as Facebook. Both are important tools to bring traffic into your website. However, blogging is more effective as compared to Facebook.
Why business blogging is better than Facebook
If you want to attract customers, consider focusing your marketing strategy on blogging. The benefits include:
- Total control. In order to attract potential customers, you need to differentiate yourself. As a blog owner, you control the blog layout, colors and posts. You also can customize your blog masthead. Unfortunately, you cannot do this with your Facebook page. Additionally, Facebook will not allow you to add your web address and contact information on your Timeline Cover.
- Long duration exposure. Blogs allow you to pin content at the top of your page for as long as you want. With Facebook, you only can display content for a week before it disappears.
- Becoming a leader in your market. Blogging maximizes your opportunity to establish yourself as a leader in your field or industry. For instance, when you consistently share high-quality content, you will attract a serious audience. Eventually, your blog will become the main reference for many online users, thus increasing your popularity. Not only will your blog be seen as a source of important information, but your credibility and reputation will also increase. Facebook is not an ideal venue to do this as visitors go there to primarily interact with friends, family and relatives. Getting involved with a business is the last thing on their mind.
- Become a hub. Having a blog allows your website to be a hub for high-quality content. As a result, your site becomes the center of attention. Facebook is different. It will never be the hub for your content as you are among millions of businesses that have a page here. More often, when customers look for information, they will search for the businesses’ websites or blogs, instead of their Facebook fan page.
- Increase in ranking. Posting relevant, useful and compelling content on your blog makes your site search engine friendly. Thus, your findability increases. When you are easily found, your inbound links may increase as other bloggers and relevant websites will place links to your site. At this stage, the search engine will view all the inbound links as a signal about your authority. Thus, your website will be ranked high in the search results.
Blogging can build a lasting community and foster relevant two-way communication. Your ability to control your blog and its presentation is the key to an effective marketing strategy. Although Facebook can be a tool for creating buzz, the audiences they attract are those who have a short attention span. Thus, blogging is highly recommended to generate leads to your business website.